The American Horse Defense Fund's (AHDF) mission is to facilitate the protection, conservation, and humane treatment of members of all Equine species. AHDF works to address inhumane treatment of horses, ponies, donkeys, mules and burros, both wild and domesticated through education, advocacy and litigation when necessary in the state, federal and international arenas.
The American Horse Defense Fund, founded in 2000, is the nation’s leading horse welfare organization working to protect America’s horses from abuse. The AHDF addresses the mistreatment of horses, both domestic and wild, through education, advocacy and litigation if necessary.
The AHDF is a fully incorporated 501(c) 3 non-profit organization that brings together a dedicated volunteer staff that includes horse owners, noted trainers, award winning documentary film makers, and specialized equine advocates whose combined experience exceeds 280 years.
The work that the AHDF’s volunteer staff has brought about the following victories:
- Published _Alternatives to Auction and Slaughter: Guide for Equine Owners_- a concise state by state listing of alternatives to horse slaughter
- Played a vital role in the passage of Congressional prohibitions against the use of taxpayer funds to inspect horsemeat and cleared a critical hurdle toward ending horse slaughter forever in the United States
- Facilitated the placement of many PMU foals and mares
- Secured the only large scale rescue and adoption of pregnant mares and young foals from one of the nation’s horse slaughter plants
- Safeguarded regulations protecting Tennessee Walking Horses and other gaited horses from the cruelty of slaughter
- Launched an equine owner education website to assist owners in providing care for their horses
- Launched a wild horse education website so the public can better understand the wild horse and burro issues
Please support the AHDF in its ongoing efforts to make the United States and the world a more humane place for horses, ponies, donkeys, burros, mules and all equine by making a donation, becoming a paid member, passing along information about the AHDF to your friends or volunteering your time as an AHDF staff member.
Come visit our store on CafePress